Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Beanie Baby Strategies Parent Bookmarks

A few weeks ago I posted about my love of the Beanie Baby reading strategies.  A sweet teacher friend of mine recently asked me if I had any resources to share and explain the readings strategies with parents.  I was happy to tell her YES - that I had, in fact, over the summer created a set of bookmarks that explain the strategies and provide examples.  I usually run these off on colored construction paper and give each child a bookmark after introducing a new strategy.  I alert the parents to look for the bookmarks in our weekly newsletter.  Anyways ... I had originally planned on creating a whole resource designed around the strategies, but this went to the back burner after school started.  I'm feeling very blessed and joyful today after the election of our new Pope, and thought I would upload these bookmarks as a freebie!

 Click above for your copy!

I also wanted to share a few other fun ideas I use to reinforce these important reading strategies.   The first was shared with me by my *fabulous* principal ... it sounds sooo simple, but really works!  Basically, I keep a bowl of goldfish crackers with me while conducting guided reading.  When students try out ANY of the reading strategies, I simply slide a goldfish toward them.  This keeps the flow of the group going, but reinforces their use of the strategies.  Like my principal explained ... it's like Pavlov's dog!  (Bonus effect .... you can slide a goldfish back if they are goofing off or not following along!)

I've also started giving my kids "trading cards" with the beanie baby strategies on them.  After I've noticed them successfully using a strategy over a period of time, I give them that trading card.  The goal is to earn them all!  This makes them SUPER motivated to try out the various strategies, thus building their mastery of the skill!

Again, in a generous mood ... so click below to download the trading cards!





Classroom Freebies Manic Monday

4 comments:

  1. Love the goldfish idea and thanks for sharing the trading cards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your great ideas! I am really looking forward to using those trading cards, they will work like a charm!! The bookmarks will be a fantastic resource for the parents. You rock! Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! My kids will love the idea of using these as trading cards. Information for parents is needed, so thanks!

    Kathy's First Grade Adventure

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great for students and parents to work on together. Always nice to have a home / school connection. Cute, thank you!
    Tamra and Sarah
    First Grade Buddies

    ReplyDelete